Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Theory, Politics, Hope and Action

I am aware of all the issues that are involved because of litigation, rules and stipulations, but this article was a wonderful eye opener. I think it is sad when we place a student who obviously can't speak english into a regular class room expecting them to prevent themselves from drowning. It is not fair. My biggest pet peeve about teaching is the standardized testing. I understand the need for it, but I don't agree with the emphasize and judgement that is put on it. When you live in a society where 10 year old straight A students are so worried that they are going to "fail" a test that they have a mental breakdown, then you know that things could be improved.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Hi, Rachel. I love that you bring up politics. Education is so political! I mean, the public pays for it so they're going to be involved. That's fine. But the politicians, who control all that is political, get involved and what comes out isn't always what is best. I didn't used to think this, but now I truly believe that we teachers (and administrators) have to get involved - politically - so that education can improve.