Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Carrots

When I see those crunchy, tasty carrots I can’t help but think of my childhood. I can remember coming home from school and getting my “after school snack”... Of course you are thinking, cookies and milk, well not in my house. My mom always had veggies for a snack. Waiting on the kitchen table for me and my brother was a snack tray full of celery, carrots and broccoli with ranch dressing. Believe it or not I loved eating all three of my snacks especially the carrots. My brother and I would try to see who could make the loudest noise with the carrots and celery. He would usually win because his “crunch” would always be surprisingly louder than mine even though I would take the biggest and hardest bite of all time. Although, I loved my mom’s idea of a snack I would sometimes get sad and with a whine I would ask “Why can’t we have cookies like Jessica’s mom?” Jessica was and still is my very best friend, and her mom always gave us chocolate chip cookies and milk when I went home with her. But no…… my mom had to be healthy. Even my brother thought it was lame and I am sure that sparked my negativity towards the whole idea, I tended to take on his wonderful ideas as my own! Looking back on it now I realize that my mom had the “perfect” idea of a snack and I am going to do the exact same thing when I have kids. Who cares if they think cookies would be better, they too will soon learn!

No comments: